Strawberry shortcake is a classic for a reason: it’s delicious and so easy to put together! This paleo version uses our Paleo Baking Flour,
- 2 cups Paleo Baking Flour (184 g)
- ¼ cup Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (25 g)
- ½ tsp Baking Powder or ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil (60 mL)
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Dairy-Free Milk (60 mL)
- Milk, for brushing
- Golden Monkfruit Sweetener for topping, optional
- 1 cup fresh Strawberries, mashed
- 1 Tbsp Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 cup sliced Strawberries
- Paleo Whipped Coconut Cream
- Fresh Strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, monkfruit sweetener, baking powder (or baking soda) and salt. Whisk to combine well.
- With a fork, cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture. The mixture should look like a coarse meal. Do not overmix. Add egg and milk to the flour blend. Stir to combine. When the mixture is mostly together (there may still be some crumbs), gently place the dough on the prepared sheet pan.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a circle about 9 inches in diameter and 1 ½- 2 inches thick, then cut into 4 pieces or evenly scoop into 4 round scones. Brush dough with milk of choice and sprinkle with extra golden monkfruit sweetener. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While scones bake, combine the mashed strawberries with the monkfruit sweetener in a small bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Build your shortcakes: place a scone on a plate, spoon some of the mashed strawberries on top, add slices of fresh strawberry, dollop with a scoop of whipped coconut cream and garnish with a fresh strawberry.