Nut flours tend to be denser and heavier than those made with ground seeds such as sunflower and sesame seeds. Nevertheless, almond flour is a classic keto ingredient for bread and it has a nice, firm texture and crispy when toasted. I love the crunch from the cheese topping when they are toasted. Simply toast these bagels, spread with cream cheese and enjoy with a cup of coffee – heavenly ! Or make delicious sandwiches with them.
- 5 large Egg Whites
- 28 g Apple Cider Vinegar
- 170 ml hot water
EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING
- 1 ½ tbsp White sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp Black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic flakes
- ½ tsp Coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven at 350F or 180C.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed. The dough is quite soft but will firm up once it is rested for about 5 minutes.
- Wet your hands for easier handling.
- Weigh the dough into 100 g each. Reuse the excess from the cut out hole. This recipe makes about 8 x 100 g bagels. Of course, it will vary depending on the size of your donut mold and bottle cap.
- Shape the dough into balls and flatten slightly. Use a donut mold (https://amzn.to/3rvUJEj) or a suitable bottle cap to make the hole. You can also use your finger to make the hole. It is best to make the hole bigger as it will shrink during baking when the dough expands. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg yolks (OR olive oil), sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning and press down gently so that they will stick to the dough. You can also top with shredded cheese. I used cheddar cheese in the video but any cheese is fine. The crust is crispy with cheese especially when toasted.
- Bake at the lowest rack for 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- These bagels can be stored at room temperature for a few days if you have a cool and dry climate otherwise, it's best to refrigerate them earlier. They can be refrigerated for up to 1 week and frozen for months.