Traditionally, Hot Cross Buns are sweet and sticky dough buns, risen with yeast, speckled with dried fruit, mixed peel, and spices. Toast them lightly and serve hot, slathered with butter and it’s the ultimate Easter bun. Well, this is my take on a low carb keto version so I hope you will enjoy it.
KETO HOT CROSS BUNS
- 7 larges Egg Whites
- 45 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 12 g instant yeast
- 240 ml Almond Milk
- ¼ tsp Sugar
PASTE FOR THE CROSS
- 50 g powdered lakanto
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp zanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 210F or 100C and leave the heat on throughout the proofing process.
- Mix the very warm milk or water with the instant yeast and sugar (optional). Stir to combine and set aside. This step is to check on the condition of the yeast.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients including the yeast mixture and mix to combine. If the yeast mixture is foamy and bubbly, that means the yeast is in good condition. Otherwise, please change to a new batch. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 90 to 95 g each. Shape into balls and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place the dough slightly touching each other. This recipe makes about 10 rolls of 90 to 95 g each. You could also make them into smaller rolls.
- Sprinkle with coconut flour on the top of the rolls. This is to prevent the dough from sticking to the towel.
- Place a baking dish with boiling water at the bottom of the oven and the dough covered loosely with a towel above it. Close the oven door and proof for 45 to 60 minutes. I proofed it for 45 minutes. The humidity and warmth creates a very conducive environment for the yeast to thrive and it will NOT kill the yeast.
- After proofing, remove the tray with dough and brush with 2 to 3 egg yolks.
- Remove the dish with water and bake the rolls at the lowest rack for 45 to 60 minutes. I baked it for 45 minutes. Increase the heat to 350F or 180C. It is not necessary to preheat the oven. This way, the dough can rise again while the oven is increasing its heat until a certain point.
- Cool the rolls and meanwhile, prepare the paste by mixing all the ingredients until you get a thick consistency. Then transfer into a piping bag. It is best to make this paste just before piping.11. Pipe the cross over the rolls as shown in the video.
- The rolls can be kept for a few days at room temperature if you have a cool and dry climate. Otherwise, it's best to refrigerate them earlier. They can be refrigerated up to 1 week and frozen for months.
- The rolls are delicious served warm with butter. To reheat, just microwave the rolls for 60 seconds.