More than a year ago, I published a video on Keto Coconut Cake) so this recipe is adapted from it. The only difference is that I made a smaller portion, toasted the desiccated coconut for better flavor and top with a coconut buttercream to make it a coconut haven. The colors looked festive so it’s perfect for the holidays.
As usual, it’s super easy to make and you don’t need to have any piping skills for the coconut buttercream frosting. For someone who is hopeless at piping cakes, I have to always look for an easy alternative and this is my favorite way of creating the waves – can’t be any easier I think. And it looks pretty decent hehe..
If you love coconut, you’ll definitely love this ultimate keto coconut cake.
KETO COCONUT CAKE WITH COCONUT BUTTERCREAM
- 3 large Eggs
- 200 ml Coconut Cream
- 60 ml Coconut cooking oil
NOTE : You can replace the coconut cream with coconut milk but you may need to reduce the amount slightly based on the consistency of the batter. You can also replace the coconut cream with whipping cream, yogurt or sour cream. As this is a coconut cake, I highly recommend coconut cream for a more intense coconut flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 340 F or 170 C.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients (except the desiccated coconut) and mix until well combined.
- Add all the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Add the toasted desiccated coconut and mix with a spatula until well combined. When toasting the desiccated coconut, be careful as they can burn easily. It just takes a short time to lightly toast them.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan lined with parchment paper at the bottom. In the video, I used a 6 inch or 15 cm round pan with a removable bottom. You can also use a springform pan or any suitable pan. This cake is quite small so you can easily increase the recipe.
- Bake at the middle rack for 40 to 50 mins or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coconut buttercream.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Then add the powdered sweetener and beat to combine.
- Add the coconut cream, salt, coconut extract (if using) and beat until well combined.
- Chill until ready to use.
ASSEMBLE AND FROST THE CAKE
- Cool the cake completely.
- Spread some buttercream evenly on the top and sides of the cake. The frosting does not have to look perfect as this is an easy and rustic style.
- Use the back of a spoon to create waves at the sides and top of the cake as seen in the video. If you do not want the cake to look visible after creating the waves, then you need to make the layer of cream thicker.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries half and sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut flakes.