Siu Yuk aka Siew Yoke aka Roasted Pork Belly. Secret to Perfect Crispy-skinned pork belly EVERYTIME! This dish sounded difficult when i was in my 20s. Back then, I thought this can only be bought from stalls or Chinese restaurants. Not to mention, a small piece will cost a lot! Once, a friend brought her homemade roasted pork belly during a pot luck and I was SO IMMPRESSED!
Since then, I started making it myself! I realised that this isn’t that difficult to make at home after all! I succeeded from the 1st try and never failed with this method. Crunchy and Crispy outer skin with Moist, Juicy, Tender meat every single time! With X’mas and Chinese New Year approaching, I hope by sharing this easy recipe, you can make this wonderful dish for your loved ones. Just watch this video and follow. I’m sure they will be impressed too!
Now, below ingredients is only a guide. Adjust the amount accordingly if the pork belly is bigger or smaller.
Crispy Roasted Pork Belly
- Wash pork belly and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Pluck hair from skin and make a few slits on the meat.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients and rub onto meat and into the slits.
- *DO NOT rub on the skin. Skin should be kept dry.
- Sprinkle and rub extra five spice powder onto meat especially the sides.
- Transfer meat over to a big piece of aluminium foil. Dry the skin as much as possible with kitchen paper.
- Poke as many holes as possible on the pig's skin.
- Fold the sides of the foil to create a box and wrap the meat, leaving only the skin exposed. Leave extra height of 1 inch up.
- Transfer into the fridge and leave it inside for 24~48hours.
- Take out before you want to roast. Cover the whole skin with a layer of salt (about 5mm height).
- Roast in preheated oven, 180c for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven after 50 minutes and increase temperature to 240c.
- Meanwhile, carefully remove the layer of salt crust away and transfer meat onto a new piece of foil or right onto a baking tray (if you dun mind washing).
- Back into the oven and roast at 240c for another 40~50 minutes or until skin is perfectly done.