Konjac noodles, also known as shirataki noodles, are low-carb noodles made from the konjac yam. They are very high in fiber but low in calories, containing around 97% water and 3% fiber. Some key benefits of konjac noodles:
• Low carb and keto-friendly: They contain only 3 grams of carbs per 100 gram serving. So they are great for low-carb and ketogenic diets.
• High in fiber: Provides 10-15 grams of dietary fiber, which aids digestion and helps keep you full.
• Gluten-free: Konjac noodles are gluten-free, so they are suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
• Weight loss friendly: Because they are high in fiber but low in calories, konjac noodles can help with weight loss by promoting satiety without adding extra calories.
• May improve blood sugar control: The soluble fiber in konjac noodles can help slow digestion and absorption of sugars, which helps keep blood sugar levels stable.
• Versatile: Konjac noodles have a gelatinous texture that can be substituted for regular pasta. You can use them in Asian-inspired dishes as well as Italian dishes like spaghetti and lasagna.
• Nearly carb-free: With 3 grams of net carbs per serving, konjac noodles have an almost negligible effect on blood sugar and ketone levels. So they are great for very low-carb or ketogenic meal plans.
• Safe for most people: Konjac noodles are generally well–tolerated, though some people may experience mild gastrointestinal side effects. As always, drink plenty of water and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
In summary, konjac noodles are a great low-carb, high-fiber substitute for regular pasta. They are suitable for keto, low-carb, paleo, vegan, gluten-free and diabetic diets. Rinse them well before using and experiment with different sauces and seasonings to find what you enjoy.