hello guys ! this cake is super easy to make and the cream cheese frosting is also super simple and goes extremely well with the cake.
low carb carrot cake
If you love carrot cake, you have to try this low carb carrot cake using ground sunflower seeds. You can make it nut free by omitting the walnuts and replace with roasted seeds. You can also make it dairy free by replacing the whipping cream with coconut cream. Ground sunflower seeds are so versatile, healthy and cost way cheaper than other low carb flours.I have used it successfully for keto bread, cookies, cakes, wraps etc. It worked so well with this carrot cake as it turned out flavorful, moist and delicious. Super easy to make and the cream cheese frosting is also super simple and goes extremely well with the cake so I highly recommend it.
- 3 eggs
- 40 g coconut oil
- 80 g whipping cream
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 225 g softened ream cheese
- 50 g allulose powdered sweetener (You can also use any other keto friendly powdered sweetener. However, allulose will not taste grainy when chilled. I just grind the sweetener until powdery before using.)
- lemon zest
- You can replace the eggs with 3 flax eggs ; In a bowl, mix together 21 g / 3 tbsp of ground flaxseeds or flax meal + 135 ml / 9 tbsp of water. Let it rest until thickened before using.
- You can see the pictures of this eggless version in my community post on 24 June 2022.
- I used an 8 inch square pan and even though the batter is much lower in height but it still took 50 minutes to cook at the same temperature of 340F or 170C. Hence, I suggest that you use a bigger pan otherwise, it will be quite hard to cook through if using a 6 inch pan.
- The texture is softer, stickier and a little fragile but tastes just as good.
- Preheat the oven at 340F or 170C.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. The batter is quite thick.
- Transfer the batter into a 6 inch (15 cm) pan with a removable bottom. Grease and line the pan with parchment paper. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Before frosting, trim off the uneven top of the cake.
- Scoop the cream cheese frosting onto the top and side of cake. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with grated carrots on the edge of the cake and top with chopped and roasted walnuts.
- DIRECTION FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- n a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with a spatula until creamy.
- Add the powdered sweetener and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the lemon zest (if using) and mix to combine.
- Chill until needed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!