Lemon and blueberries makes a classic cake ! If you love anything lemony, you will certainly love this keto lemon blueberry cake with lemon buttercream frosting. The refreshing, tangy flavors and moist texture makes the cake super delicious.
Some of you have been asking me whether we could use egg whites only for keto cakes so I tried it with this cake. I noticed that the batter was drier but it bakes up fine. The texture is also slightly drier but it still tastes good. The cake looks whiter which is a nice contrast for this cake with blueberries. So the answer is that it is doable and you just need to double the amount of the whole eggs for egg whites. So if my recipe calls for 3 whole eggs, you need to use 6 egg whites. Watch the end of the video to see the cake using egg whites.
KETO LEMON BLUEBERRY CAKE
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 150 g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 120 g lakanto powdered
- 30 ml Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 45 ml Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 340 F or 170 C.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients (except the blueberries) and mix to combine.
- Add all the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. The batter is thick and smooth.
- Add the blueberries into the batter and mix to combine.
- greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Divide the batter equally into the 2 pans. Spread evenly.
- I tried using cake strips to prevent a dome from forming and browning of the cake. Frankly, it is the first time that I am trying this and it worked. Since I have not gotten the ready-made cake strips yet, I made them by using aluminum foil and kitchen paper towels. Soak the kitchen paper towel (ensure that it is longer than the pan) into water for a while. Then squeeze out the water, spread it out and line it on the foil (ensure that it is longer than the pan). Fold the foil over the paper towels then wrap around the pan (see video on this). This is optional but it is great for layer cakes with frosting. The cake will also turn out fluffier with no browning. However, it takes a little longer to bake with cake strips.
- Bake for 30 minutes with cake strips and 15 to 20 minutes without cake strips.
- Once ready, remove the cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- In a bowl, add the butter and powdered sweetener and whisk until creamy and pale in color.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk again until smooth and creamy.
- Chill while waiting for the cake to cook and cool completely.
- When the cake is ready, spread the frosting evenly on the bottom layer and top of the cake. Spread some of the frosting on the sides too. Then use a cake scraper to smoothen the sides.
- Decorate with fresh blueberries and lemon slices (Optional).
- Sprinkle with lemon zest (Optional).