A bread that rises like bread as it bakes, and is light and fluffy rather than dense has been hard to find when cooking without grains or starches. This low-carb bread is baked in a regular loaf pan and can make a full-sized sandwich, perfect for lunch boxes. It holds together well, and is sturdy enough to make sandwiches on.
Keto Hazelnut Sandwich Bread (GAPS, Dairy-Free)
- 6 egg separated
- 4 tsp melted butter ghee, or coconut oil (add 1/4 teaspoon salt if using coconut oil)
- 1/1/2 cups hazelnut flour
- 2 pck stevia or equivalent of another no-carb sweetener
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- extra hazelnut flour to sprinkle the top of the loaf optional
- Preheat oven to 375*F and prepare a loaf pan by greasing well with coconut oil, or (my preferred method) lining with parchment paper and then greasing that.
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar (I like to use a whip attachment in a stand mixer) until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the egg yolks, melted butter, hazelnut flour, stevia, and sea salt in a separate bowl until well combined. If it is too thick to mix well, add a little bit of the egg white (before whipping) to it until you can easily mix it.
- Once the egg whites are fluffy, throughly but quickly and gently mix in the egg yolk mixture. You want the bread batter to be completely mixed through, but over mixing will cause the air pockets to deflate and your bread won't be as tall
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth with a spatula. Batter should come up to about 1 inch below the top of the loaf pan; if there is extra, bake in a small custard cup or muffin pan. Sprinkle the top if desired with extra flour. We just sprinkle the top with flour to give it a more 'bread like' appearance.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and remove parchment paper and allow to cool completely on a metal cooling rack before slicing into 10 slices.
- 6 eggs separated
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter ghee, or coconut oil (add 1/4 teaspoon salt if using coconut oil)
- 1-1/2 cups hazelnut flour find here
- 2 packets stevia or equivalent of another no-carb sweetener (Allulose, Lakanto, Eryhitrol, Xylitol)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Extra hazelnut flour to sprinkle the top of the loaf optional